Membership

Log in or Register to Join or Renew your membership to POGP.

User login

A brief history of ACPWH

A brief summary of the Group's history.

The Obstetric Association of Chartered Physiotherapists was formed in 1948 by members of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy interested in obstetrics. It was one of the earliest clinical interest groups to be formed.

In 1976, gynaecology was added to the speciality and the group became known as the Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Obstetrics and Gynaecology.

In 1994 the Association was re-named the Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Women's Health. The Association currently has a worldwide membership of at least 700 members and associates. The Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Women's Health is one of 40 clinical interest groups recognised by the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP), and is also a founder member of the International Organization of Physical Therapists in Women's Health (IOPTWH).

The badges used by the ACPWH

In 1948 the Obstetric Association of Chartered Physiotherapists (OACP) insignia was designed to commemorate the life of Minnie Randall, a founder member. The design incorporates the lotus, the Egyptian symbol for childbirth, and the CSP 'helping hands'.
In 1976 gynaecology was added to the specialty, and when the Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Obstetrics and Gynaecology (ACPOG) became 'ACPWH' in 1994, a new badge was designed, adding to the lotus and physiotherapy hands the primrose, the Chinese symbol for women's health.

Links

More from the CSP

Back to top